[pct-l] who pays?

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Sat Jun 6 15:13:14 CDT 2009

Mark, I think you are a realistic pessimist!
Grand Canyon has, at times of budgetary shortages, billed for helicopter and
rescue services.  This had a number of effects:
    1.  there were fewer 'rescues' because people didn't want to have to pay
for the service
    2.  there were fewer helicopter accidents.  Sad to say, those who want
to help the injured or ill hikers in the canyon do so at risk to everyones'
lives.  Evacuations should (IMO) be reserved for those with truly
life-threatening problems.
    3.  the backcountry was quieter without all those helicopters flying
around.
    4.  Rangers took care of the sick and injured, instead of just shipping
them on.  This is not to say that they don't still care, but that the ethic
of 'emergency care' is to provide a few essential services and transport the
individual.  Back in the 1980's, we often had a sick/injured person spending
one or more days recovering from their problems enough to hike out on their
own power.  Even if a person needed to get out, we were as likely to call
for a litter and carry them as call a helicopter.
Elderly Ellen