[pct-l] SPOT and the use of HELP

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Sat Jun 6 08:35:46 CDT 2009

As I understand it, HELP on a Spot device means whatever the Spot
subscriber says it means. I have heard of some using HELP to mean
something entirely different, not that they need help but rather to take
some other predetermined action, such as pick me up tomorrow at the
trailhead, I'm coming out at the next trailhead ahead, or include an
additional specified item in the next mail drop.

So, viewing HELP would only be useful if we knew what HELP meant for a
given hiker.

> Would viewing the HELP location, time and coordinates
> have minimized the confusion in Censor's situation?  Would viewing a
HELP
> signal have the potential to unnecessarily alarming the hiking
community?