[pct-l] SPOT and the Search for Censor

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sat Jun 6 08:27:41 CDT 2009

Daniel Cohen wrote:
> The question now arises as to whether to added functionality
> regarding the HELP signal and whether displaying a HELP signal on a
> Google-type of map that was publicly viewable represented an invasion
> of privacy?  And if that HELP signal was accepted and viewable should
> it be in real time or a selectable delay?

What is the purpose of the HELP signal? If you send out a HELP signal, I
would think that keeping your location secret, and delaying the signal
for privacy purposes would defeat the purpose of calling for help.

> Would viewing the HELP location, time and coordinates have minimized
> the confusion in Censor's situation?

It would make it easier to find a hiker if we knew where the HELP signal
was coming from, would it not? And it would make it easier to find the
hiker in a timely manner if the HELP signal was not delayed.

> Would viewing a HELP signal have the potential to unnecessarily
> alarming the hiking community?

If you felt it was necessary to call for help, I would think you would
want someone to notice.

So now I have to ask, if a hiker pushes the HELP button on his Spot, but
does not wish to disclose his location and wishes the signal to be
delayed for privacy purpose, then what is the purpose of the HELP signal?

I suppose that a hiker could have a prearranged agreement that the HELP
signal does not mean HELP, but actual means XYZ, in which case keeping
the time and location secret would make sense, but in most cases a hiker
in need of help would want his location disclosed.