[pct-l] who pays?

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Fri Jun 5 15:11:45 CDT 2009

On Thursday 04 June 2009 12:38:43 Bill Burge wrote:

> I'm cold.  I'm geared for _mostly_ other weather; and some of the
> OTHER weather rolls in.  My last weather report was days ago and THIS
> wasn't really a part of it.  A quick dusting of snow and the trail is
> obscured and the features of the landscape go "shades of grey" with
> snow and clouds making navigation confusing.  I'm pretty sure I'm off
> the trail or, at a minimum, I don't feel I can find my way.

For me, this is a perfect example of where the ultra-light ethic preached by
so many falls short.  Seldom mentioned in the proselytizing is what happens
when it hits the fan.

People heading out to cross a 4000 meter pass in the spring with gear that is
barely adequate for good weather seems problematic. How many PCTers have died
from exposure? I know of at least one on San Jacinto a few years ago.

Pardon my rambling.

Gary