[pct-l] who pays?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Jun 5 15:42:01 CDT 2009

Hi, Gary,

We could get into the debate, ultra-light vs. ultra-ready, but reasonable
caution is what we preach to all our students. Then they can decide how they
want to go for themselves.

Many think we're fear-mongering while some see the sense of it. When your
safety and comfort are at risk, as they are for those in the Sierra right
now, even though such conditions may not occur ( in the mountains, where the
weather is always changeable, you can't expect ideal conditions all the
time), when they do, you're ready to handle it if you prepare for the worst.

Each hiker has to decide for him/her self what is important and valuable to
carry. The problem seems to be that they do not know what to prepare for,
don't believe they need to (based on the probability of adverse situations
ahead based on the reports of others), and are influenced/inclined/motivated
by the current ultra-light trend.

Hiking as light as possible is always better, but be aware of what safety
and security you're giving up and the subsequent consequences that may
befall you should conditions change beyond what you can handle with what you
have.

You're not ranting, just encouraging future hikers to go into their travels
with their eyes open.

Mtnned