[pct-l] who pays? - was:Search for Censored

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Jun 4 14:30:02 CDT 2009

Mark Liechty wrote:
> And, yes, I am very glad everyone was safe as this is the perfect
> scenario to discuss who pays for the mistake.  The hikers or my mom.

I think in the context of the PCT-L a better question to discuss is the
question of when to call for help.

In this case Censored self rescued, which is the best outcome we can
hope for, but at some point she felt that she needed SAR to get her out.
She was wrong, but I'm sure she had no way to know that at the time.

Call for help too soon, and SAR is called out unnecessarily. Call for
help too late, and SAR becomes recovery of the body. Neither one is what
we want to see. So how does one determine when it really is necessary to
call for help?