[pct-l] PCT Thru hiker rescued....

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Jul 27 11:23:37 CDT 2009

I finally saw Mr. Burnett's revision down at the bottom of all the comments,
and saw where he stated the hiker was a PCT hiker, and thus where that bit
of information came from.  I couldn't verify the hiker's name in our
register, but then, many sign only with their trail name, and many jump on
at Kennedy Meadows.  It's curious all the same; the overwhelming majority of
intended thru-hikers passed through pretty early this year after which the
numbers dropped like a rock, and it appears that the Heitman's in Old
Station have seen most of "The Herd" already.  Added, I recall the trail to
Merced Lake as off the JMT, before you hit  Little Yosemite Valley and the
trail to Half Dome. and drop into Yosemite Valley.  Still, the hiker in
question may indeed have  been hiking a distance on the PCT, with or without
the goal of getting to Canada.

I always like to think of the PCT thru-hikers as being better prepared and
more experienced than the average backpacker, but reality doesn't exactly
match my expectation/perception in every case, to put it nicely.  Perhaps
it's just that we have to know our limitations, and this gentleman found the
boundary where his abilities end the hard way.  I'm glad he and all of the
brave and selfless rescue workers came out of this incident okay.

L-Rod