[pct-l] PCT Thru hiker rescued....

jmy09 at aol.com jmy09 at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 16:09:19 CDT 2009

 Sorry, I may have mis-stated that he was a PCT Thru hiker but it was stated in a follow up that he was on a long-distance hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. I don't know for sure because I was not the one
that wrote the article for the National Parks Traveler, but Jim Burnett is the writer/owner, the following is his comment to his article (he is a retired NPS ranger of 30 years).
The incident took place on July 15. I wanted to share what I read and what was being said about a "long distance PCT hiker".

Jim Burnett

Anonymous -

Thanks for your comment about climbing in Yosemite. You raised some
interesting questions, so I made a call to the park and got a few more
details on this specific situation. I'll amend the story slightly for
clarification, as described below.

The man is making a long-distance hike on the Pacific Crest Trail,
so he's in good condition and has some outdoor skills. He's done a
little climbing in the eastern U.S. - but apparently nothing of the
caliber of Yosemite. I'd note that the definition of a "climber" is a
very subjective one!

This particular situation sounds like an "impulse" activity. The man
left his pack for his long-distance hike at the base of a nearly
vertical wall that is about 1,000 feet high, and was free climbing with
no protection; he was wearing hiking boots.

The good news? After he was rescued, the man was described as being
very subdued and grateful; the reality of his close call had apparently
sunk it by the time he was safely on the ground.

Given the tricky winds described in the story, I'm very thankful
this situation ended safely for everyone, including the pilot and the
rescuers. Those flying conditions made this rescue even riskier than
usual, and was another testimony to the skills of those involved.

All of us learn by experience, so I trust this was a lesson learned
by this individual. Perhaps at least a few people who heard about this
incident will also think twice before attempting something similar.

Janis-Garnet Turtle