[pct-l] camp stove fuel for thru hike, is it easy to find?

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 00:19:38 CDT 2009

Dave,

Last year, I used my pepsi can stove (many sets of directions available on
the internet) and denatured alcohol. The fuel was very easy to carry (even a
gatorade or soda plastic bottle works well) and easy to find. Any hardware
store will have it. I even bought some at a paint store in Big Bear City.

One time I bought in with a handful of other thru hikers and they bought a
gal. can. Turns out, though, that the hiker that did the purchase wasn't
very bright and he bought a gal of white gas rather than denatured alcohol.
I didn't even notice when I was filling my bottle, but I sure did notice the
first time I tired to cook with it! It flamed up and out of control! When I
looked at my bottle of fuel, I could tell that there were two different
kinds in the bottle.

I was lucky ... a hiker going the other way needed some white gas, and I
gave him all I had in my bottle, and was able to re-fuel in the next town,
so it wasn't a disaster. I also didn't start a forest fire ... that was a
good thing.

Heet also worked as a fuel for my stove, and heet can be purchased just
about anywhere.

Good luck on