[pct-l] KM Date and Ray Day

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 14:07:28 CDT 2009

Ray Day (June 15th as the no earlier than, or optimal day to leave KM) is an obsolete concept.

The Sierra's are quite passable earlier than this, even in extreme snow years such as 2005 and 2006.  Within the mainstream hiker window, the Sierras are passable - go when you get there (Note that I'm not advocating mid May).  I speak from first hand experience having departed KM on June 14, 2006 and heading straight through to VVR in 12 days, including the Whitney side trip.  Also, I am not some Skurka / Williamson type either, but a slightly 'drought and famine resistant', mid 30's something when I thru hiked who took slightly longer than average to finish the trail.  If I can do it, some young buck of early mid 20 something should have it easy.

Now, will it be more difficult than walking on dry trail?  Duh.  Know and expect this going in.

What will you need to head in before "Ray Day", especially in a high snow year such as 2005 or 2006?  You will need to know how to navigate with map and compass.  You will need to know how to self arrest with an ice axe.  You will need to be prepared with proper shelter, sleeping equipment, clothing and rain gear.  You will need to be prepared for very deep and dangerous stream crossings - belly button deep or full on swimming, depending on how tall you are.  You need to know there is, in fact, a real possiblity of serious injury or death, be it by unarrested falls on steep snow slopes to jagged rock impact or being swept away in fast moving "streams" that look more like rivers.  You will need to know you'll be walking on sun cuped snow for 5 to 10 miles at a pop over each of the passes.  You will need to have very good sun protection, else be roasted to a crisp.  Most importantly, you will need to have a stout heart and determined spirit.

The reward is you will have the best 10 to 12 days of your life - period.

Head in when you get to KM, don't wait.  Take the American pioneer spirit with you.  Don't wonder if you can do it.  Find out.  Don't let others timidness deter you - see for yourself and decide for yourself.  Impossible to them may be merely difficult to you.  To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, dare dreatly and don't be one of those poor, timid souls who knows neither victory or defeat.

YMMV, HYOH, yadda, yadda, yadda......

Respectfully
TC