[pct-l] KM Date, Ray Day, snow hiking

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu Jul 23 15:35:02 CDT 2009

Let's be clear. Ray Day is a concept that leads hikers to believe that there
is a window of opportunity every year where you can enter the High Sierra to
thru hike the PCT and be able to do so on dry ground and maintain your high
mileage desires. Ascribing to this concept without doing your own research
is simply naive. Every winter different amounts of snow fall in the Sierra
such that whenever you get there you may still find snow on-trail. If it is
your biggest fear, certainly try to avoid it, but you're missing out in
experiencing one of the greatest visual treats of the entire Crest Trail.

As TC said about hiking in the snow, "The reward is you will have the best
10 to 12 days of your life - period."

This is some of what we teach when training folks for snow hiking:

Plan your thru hike of the PCT or CDT so that you reach Canada before the
new snow keeps you from finishing. You don't want the agony of having gone
that far with all those dreams just to be blocked from completion.

Select a daily mileage that you can accomplish and still be enjoying your
hike. Only you, who know yourself better than anyone else, can decide what
that is for you. If you want to have a leisurely trip, as I did, factor
17mpd and give yourself a day off once a week for fishing, peak-bagging,
reading in a lovely field, photography up close, exploring those other
lakes, etc., or for an emergency buffer in your schedule. Then back up the
whole mess to figure out when you'll be starting from Mexico. If you have
time constraints, this won't work. If you like high mileage days and know
that you can sustain it for months, then do what works for you. This is your
trip. Know what you can do and don't want to do beforehand and plan
accordingly.

If this start date becomes March 14th (as it was for me), don't panic
because everyone says there is a better way. If you can end later than Sept.
2 and you're fairly certain that the PNW Snows won't start 'till October
1st, then bump your schedule up a month. About a month after you start,
you'll be entering KM and the high altitudes of the Sierra. If this date is
mid-April or mid-May, plan for snow hiking. Drop your daily mileage desires
down to 10, increase your caloric intake to double, and train for the skills
required to enjoy the incredible wonderland of snow and granite. I had snow
from April 17th to mid-August. Four months! Don't worry, not only will you
get used to it (of course, cursing and avoiding it from time to time!), but
you will be able to increase your daily mileage as you get stronger, so your
schedule will not suffer. Once high-summer arrives to the backcountry, the
white stuff will melt off and the trail does, eventually, appear and you can
actually camp on dry dirt!! Once the snow melts, the bugs arrive, mud
becomes a hassle, and rains come, too.

Snow is not a barrier to hiking, but, rather, a blessing. Usually there is
no dirt or mud to get into everything, there are no bugs, and no mice,
'coons, or bears to worry about stealing your food. You can cook inside your
tent if you want to. Water is everywhere (you don't have to carry water up
the peak in order to camp on top!). A flat place to camp can be made
anywhere. The coming of Fall and Winter no longer means you have to pack up
your hiking gear for another season. Learn how to be safe on snow and go out
and enjoy it!

Sure there are hazards that are different than summer hiking. The advise TC
gave all boils down to "Be Prepared." Really a small thing to do if it
allows you to keep on living in and loving the awesome majestic mountain
life we, as long distance hikers, are so blessed to be able to know.

So, Hike Your Own Hike and do your own schedule according to what you want
to get out of your expedition. Don't be another sheep on the trail pounding
out those daily mileages just to "get there." Enjoy the Journey, start when
you want to, enter the Sierra when you get there, go as slow or fast as you
desire, and empower yourself with pre-trip training in the skills needed to
deal with most anything the mountains will throw at you. Confidence,
Experience, Wisdom = Safety and Fun.

Mtnned and Lady J