[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows Entry Date, Planning

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed Jul 22 16:23:23 CDT 2009

In the Sierra you can encounter snow, dangerous creek crossings, and
hazardous weather most any month of the year. If you prepare yourself for
the worst and you find your actual conditions "going south" once you're out
there, you'll have the knowledge, skills, and experience to make the right
decisions to proceed through it safely with little fear or anxiety.
Practice.

Gary said, "Hikers need to be aware of the possible range of conditions they
might
encounter and adjust accordingly.  Most mistakes I've seen/read about
in journals are due to hikers assuming that they will experience
'average' conditions and not being prepared for variances from the
average."

Donna said, "And, be prepared for winter-like conditions, no matter
what year you hike."

"Ray Day" represents the optimal date for leaving KM in order to travel on
as dry a trail as possible and still get to Canada before the snow flies and
stops you dead in your tracks so close to your goal. Since some winters drop
more snow than others, what you find when you climb out of KM (based on the
schedule you created months earlier) is what you get. Learn, before you
leave, how to deal with it so you'll have a safe and happy
dream-trip-of-a-lifetime armed with the requisite skills garnished from
having already experienced the worst the mountains may throw at you.

With this in mind, it really doesn't matter what date you leave KM (winter
excepted!). I left the area April 17. Sure, I had a lot of snow, but I
learned how to travel in it well enough to make my 17mpd average to get to
Monument 78 before the local Canadian Rangers said it would start snowing.
The last thing I wanted was to hike all that way just to have some stupid
snow storm prevent me from reaching my 6-month goal, so I started early
(March 14).

As we teach, here, it doesn't matter whether you have twelve inches or
twelve feet of snow, the techniques and considerations for dealing with it
are the same. Since it can snow at any time of year in the mountains, learn
about hiking through it before you go. Plan for optimal and anticipate the
adverse, but prepare for the worst - and always have a "Plan B." You can't
control the weather and the conditions that will be thrown at you, but you
can control your comfort and level of safety by being thoroughly
experienced. So, join REI courses, go hiking in the winter, enroll in the
local Community College's Backpacking classes, sleep in your shelter in your
backyard in the wind-driven rain, eat your trail menu while still at home,
and come to our free Snow Courses.

Preparing for your safe and successful PCT thru hike is not just about
knowing which maps to take, having the lightest pack, eating the best foods
for you, or wearing the shoes accepted by the thru hiking community at
large. You are preparing for that many would call an "expedition." The
"Outward Bound" side of it requires knowledge, skills, and experience to
provide for safety and fun. The "Inward Bound" side requires that you be
aware of what you're getting yourself into, the myriad of external
decision-making situations that will bring about changes within you.

Both of these can be met by doing. Spend your weekends hiking. Choose
locations that closely approximate what you expect to see (hike parts of the
pct). Choose environmental and personal conditions that challenge you
(altitude, bad weather, lack of water, hot/cold temperatures, rough or snowy
trail, loneliness, group decision-making, etc..) Through all of this you'll
learn about yourself, what you know, what you need to learn and practice,
what gear and food works for you, how hard you can push yourself, whether
this dream is really within your grasp. This is what planning and
preparation are all about. Step One.

If you need help or encouragement, send us an email.

Mtnned and Lady J