[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:49:14 CDT 2009

Bjorn wrote:

I have read a few places that leaving Kennedy Meadows before June 15th
is challenging/impossible/stupid and I'm wondering what others think.

June 15th is a very general rule of thumb that may or may not apply in any
given year.  It all comes down to two things: how fast the snow melts off
and how comfortable you are with extended snow travel.

If you're ok with snow travel then leaving well before June 15th is doable
and maybe even desirable.  An earlier entry date lets you avoid the worst of
the river crossings and maybe the worst of the bugs and gives you more time
to get from the Sierra to Canada.

On the other hand snow travel can be slower, more exhausting, and more
technically challenging than bare trails.  You need to carry more food and
gear and be good at route-finding.  Look for Rolling Thunder's 2006 journal
on www.trailjournals.com for a good example of what an early entry is like.

Eric