[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 22 13:33:46 CDT 2009

According to a woman hiker who hiked in '75, before Ray Jardine promoted
June 15 (now known as "Ray Day") as optimal, conventional wisdom was that
departing KM sometime in May was ideal.  As Radar posted, much depends on
the weather and conditions in any given year.  IMHO, there is no right,
wrong, or optimal time that is consistent from year to year. It makes it
tough to plan ahead and request time off, but giving yourself some
flexibility is best.  And, be prepared for winter-like conditions, no matter
what year you hike. Those who don't really put themselves at risk. I was at
Horseshoe Meadow and Whitney Portal on Monday (7/20), and the temps dropped
to 51 and it rained and hailed significantly, which really looked (and felt)
like snow on the ground!

L-Rod