[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Jul 22 13:20:33 CDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 2:10 PM, petechar at onid.orst.edu wrote:

> I have read a few places that leaving Kennedy Meadows before June 15th
> is challenging/impossible/stupid and I'm wondering what others think.

Depends on the actual conditions each year (snowfall and melt).

In 2004 and 2007 I left KM around June 6th.  Both were low snow years
and I had no trouble but still experienced large snow fields around
most passes (2004) and in both years on Muir pass.  2007 was a very
low snow year.

As we saw this year you can get significant snowfall in June in the
Sierra.

Hikers need to be aware of the possible range of conditions they might
encounter and adjust accordingly.  Most mistakes I've seen/read about
in journals are due to hikers assuming that they will experience
'average' conditions and not being prepared for variances from the
average.

In 2004 I had high temperatures of 90-100 while hiking around Mt.
Laguna (just 40 miles from the start).  In 2005 I experienced freezing
rain, a couple inches of snow, and gale force winds in the same
location and generally the same date (late april, thru-hiker season).

Gary (Radar) Wright