[pct-l] Sleeping pads

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:04:52 CST 2009

Engraving Pros wrote:
> I just can't sleep on those ultra-lite pads any more.
> After years of backpacking I thought I would have
> to give it up because of my inability to sleep on the
> ground. I am a side sleeper. After just a few hours
> both sides would be sore and I would end up switching
> from side to side every fifteen minutes or so trying to
> sleep on the less sore side. I think back sleepers have
> it made.

I totally agree.  I switched to a Big Agnes Air Core pad and I'm so happy
with it.  It weighs only a few ounces more than my 3/4 length Prolite, but
it's full length and really thick and comfortable.  It rolls up really
small, too.

The main disadvantage is that it's not self-inflating so you have to huff
and puff for a few minutes each night.  Totally worth it, though.  For me,
if I don't sleep well, then I'm not going to make the miles - simple as
that.

Another small disadvantage is that it doesn't have much insulation value.
For summertime use, it's fine.  For spring and fall, Big Agnes makes the
same kind of pad with a bit of down inside which gives about the same
R-value as the Prolite.  I have both.

Eric