[pct-l] Poison Oak Immunization

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 19:21:56 CST 2009

George,

In the late 70s / early 80s there was actually a product sold over the counter called Immun-Oak.  Basically it was in liquid form and consisted of the active chemical in PO.  The product by design was taken over the course of 1 month.  Basically 1 drop in 8 ounces of water once per day for 3 consecutive days and than 2 drops in 8 ounces of water once per day for 3 days and so on.

Having been hospitalized twice for serioius PO (I had it everywhere and I mean everywhere - eyes were swollen shut and throat was swollen causing breathing difficulties and the pee and poop shoots were not functional), I decided to give this stuff a try once I was fully healed from the incident mentioned above.

The manuafacturer indicated that the immunization would last 3-4 years at which time a repeat may be necessary.  After 3 years I found that the product had been pulled from distribution, but with that said, I did not encounter another incident for nearly 18 years.  I hunt and fish frequently and know full well that this medicine worked VERY well!

My guess is that it was pulled from distribution due to the risk of causing problems if not taken properly. The dosage was critical as was taking it when you had absolutely no contact or outbreak of PO.

With that said, I am still not certain I would be up to this alternative strategy.  I have seen that in the past 3-4 years, my immune system has a deficiency again though as I have had several outbreaks following hunting/hiking trips in which I have been exposed to PO.

This may just work, but I will leave it to others to give it a try.

Elevator

From: "George Wysup" <georwy at charter.net>