[pct-l] Poison Oak Immunization

Hikers Two PCT09 at ratherbhiking.com
Thu Jan 29 13:23:57 CST 2009

Between the "Yeah, this works," and the "No, you must be estupido to put poison oak in the same mouth you eat with" camps, my experience is more inline with the 'Pro-PO' group.

On first exposure in the mid-80's (my late 20's, in the Sierra foothills near Three Rivers), I taunted my hyper-allergic buddy by dancing bare-legged through every big PO bush on the trail. Reaction: none. (Skin, that is -- my friend was scarred for life.) As typical, though, subsequent PO exposures brought severe discomfort, the pustules and inflammation persisting for about three weeks.

In the early 90's, wildman hiker (friend, and fellow wannabe naturalist) Ken Heck (who later married Pat, the lady who introduced 25-mile+ death marches to the hiking clubs of southeast Tennessee in that timeframe) came back from a Cherokee native plant use seminar and told how he'd learned that the Cherokee fed the small red leaves to their babies in the spring.

Delighted at the prospect of becoming immune, I hastily began the every-other-day regimen, soon growing comfortable snapping off a leaf (or part thereof), popping it in my mouth, then quickly wiping my fingers with dirt to displace the sticky residue. With chewing, the leaves release a pleasant, even desirable, flavor (no salad dressing is needed). But woe to you if that tiny droplet of milky sap touches anything on the way to your tongue! I did find that a bite of any food worked better than water at clearing the resin from the mouth. (By now the skin of the 'No-PO' people is crawling. Can't you just feel it?  :^)

The success of this method, for me at least, was limited. Immunity never happened. What did was that both severity and overall reaction times were greatly reduced. The regular three-week suffering diminished to about four days, and the misery level also went way down. Of course, your results may vary. I'd advise anyone who wants to try it to be very cautious, but don't be afraid of it. (True confession: I had waves of panic with the first leaf -- almost didn't do it.) The real caveat is, don't eat too much or too often (2-3 day intervals are fine). When I do, evidence of the excess appears as a rash, usually somewhere on my back or shoulders. Overall, I think it's worth the little trouble (any sphincter rash notwithstanding) in eating to gain a whole lot less discomfort on exposure, contact being inevitable.

So this is my experience, anecdotal (rather than scientific) as it is. Maybe we can garnish a hot dog with some PO at the Kickoff -- and just maybe get the wife to finally try some of that three-leaflet salad green.

Bill

PS  Ken and Pat now live in CA, I hear. Anyone put us back in touch, I'd be much obliged.