[pct-l] TP ???

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 15:09:59 CST 2009

Good on you for calling them out, so long as there was no gun play.
About five years ago I was waitng to meet a friend to hike out and climb Mt Williamson, so decided to kill a couple days and went down and got a permit for Whitney.  Loaded my huge 16lb pack and rambled up the trail to upper trail camp, during the after noon storms and leaving at 5PM and arriving just at dark.  I found a little tent flat, threw down my bivy, made soup and realized the oder wasn't normal for the high country.  And it wasn't the pit toilets as the wind was wrong.  I decided it had to be from so much usage year in and year out of people getting up and peeing around the flat, probably mostly at night. Later when the breeze died down I was sure of it.  Mice were scurrying around all night.  The next morning just as it was showing light and I was passing through the dynamited cable section before ascending to Trail Crest I almost stepped in crap where someone had left a dookey right in the middle of the rock trail, paper and all.
However, this is why I tend to go to less popular areas where folks who go there have a dfferent attittude and level of knowledge and experience.  What I experienced on the Whitney trail didn't really surprise me as unussual.  In fact it seemed more the norm.  I recently visited a friend at Kern RIver.  I spent an afternoon along the river road and what I saw there did surprise me.  Not just a couple palces, but everywhere the road and river were litterally lined with TP and craps.
And tell me if this surprises you, some of the worst back country etiquette I have witnessed have been Sierra Club groups.  Not all, and probably the majority mean well, and I have had meny a pleasant trailside talk with these folks, but I have also cleaned up after them and so forth.  Fly in from New York, meet the group, hike for five or six days and go back to New York probably never to return.  Good for you, but take your crap with you.