[pct-l] Getting to Walker Pass, CA from Bakersfield, CA -- anyone help?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Jan 15 15:18:05 CST 2009

There is no public transportation over the pass. The closest you can get is Onyx, using the Kern Regional Transit  buses Monday through Saturday. >From there, you have to hitch the last 15 miles.

Take this KERN bus from BFD to Lake Isabella:
http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/pdf/Lake_Isabella-Bakersfield_sched.pdf

Take this KERN RIVER VALLEY  bus from Lake Isabella to Onyx:
http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/pdf/KernRiverValley_sched.pdf#zoom=125

There are no on-trail campsites at Walker Pass itself (just a highway crossing). You should plan to meet at the Walker Pass trailhead campground just below the pass. There is a 0.1 mile spur trail to it from the PCT.