[pct-l] Running Shoes vs. boots

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 27 23:40:29 CST 2009

I find I agree with Diane here in that one tends to walk according to the
footwear they have on. I'll also add that the lighter foot gear the more
nimble and quick you can redirect your foot and with less energy.  Some
folks still swear by boots, and that's fine, but also, boots are not what
they used to be.  Perhaps the glue they use now is not as good or the
midsole rubberers.  Don't know, but they do break down, and the product
reviews on various outfitters and camping goods web sites will attest to
this moer than anywhere else.  The best boots, though heavy, are still
traditionally stiched down leather and vibram lug soles.  But just about any
recently broke in pair of light to mid weight boots should get through the
Sierra so long as your feet can.  I favor a over the ankle mid light hiking
shoe/boot without gortex so they'll dry faster.  When I break out the
regular mountain trekking boots Ican expect a lot less miles, and amoften
finding that I have to be more careful as with the higher heel of a big boot
is when I find I catch loose rock and stuff and have a tendency to turn my
ankles out, which while I haven't had any injury that has slowed me down, I
did notice the stiffer boot translates the ankle turn up to my knee.  So the
boot means generally a slower pace, less miles, and a lot more chance of
heel blistering in my case on those long Sierra switchback and uphill
grades.  In snow I'd rather have the boot, but not if I have to cross creeks
in the same day as hiking in wet boots don't care for.
A good compromise for me has been something like Merrel's non-Gortex
Camelions for a few trips, but never did more than about fifteen miles a day
in them.