[pct-l] Running Shoes vs. boots

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 27 20:44:56 CST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 5:59 PM, <ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com> wrote:
> What I was thinking about was more of evasive maneuvers, sudden
> changes of course, the quick turn you have to make when you see a
> root, boulder, or branch in your path. Sometimes just quickly
> moving around the campsite my foot will roll over a twig, cone, or
> stone on the compacted ground there.

Well, ballet dancers wear slippers, not boots.

 From what I have read in my research about the evils of shoes in
general (mostly pro-barefoot points of view), one of the bad things
about heavy shoes is that they allow you to just crash your way
through rocks and twigs. The less you have on your foot the more
carefully you will place your foot and the less you will find
yourself rolling over twigs, cones and stones.

Someone said they could not remember anyone on the trail wearing
boots. I remember Steve wore boots. His trailname became Salty, from
what I've learned. He wore Asolo boots, very nice ones. He had to
replace them in Agua Dulce because the soles delaminated. He said he
just preferred boots. Nobody really cares what anyone else uses (with
the exception of Sneering Ultralight Warner Springs Monty). So if you
prefer boots you should use them. You should use the gear that will
give you the success you need.

My Uncle Lorenzo wore boots, too, and had a huge, heavy pack full of
fancy camera gear. He wore a huge Nikon around his neck with a huge
lense. He hiked fast and with a permanent smile on his face. I wish I
knew what happened to him. Did he make it?

By the way, not everyone uses an ultralight, frameless pack either.
Some people still use external frame packs. And why not? They are
great. A woman last year used one. Kristina or Kathleen or something
like that was her name.

Diane