[pct-l] Ice Axes on Amtrak

rcluster at comcast.net rcluster at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 16:46:18 CST 2009

Anybody have any experiences trying to carry your pack with ice axe attached on Amtrak? Carryon, not checked baggage.

I know what their website says (No large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords. )

But......

I took my packed backpack into the Amtrak depot here, with ice axe attached, and the ticket agent didn't see any issue with it. No problem at all he says.....

We will have one train change in Los Angeles so.....even if we get on board OK in Eugene the folks in LA could say we can't bring the ice axes on board. (Which would create an issue at 10pm.)

Just trying to decide whether to carry them or ship them.

Thanks for the input!

Ron & Julie Cluster
Class of 2009