[pct-l] Ice Axes on Amtrak

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 26 17:16:32 CST 2009

Good afternoon, Ron & Julie,

I would be very skeptical about a carrying-on ice axe.  There is some
administrative discretion in what the agents allow or disallow and maybe the
Eugene agents are familiar with such gear.  I wouldn’t expect the same
tolerance in LA.

Based upon the mid-winter snow reports SoCal might have lower than average
snowpack this year so you may not need the axes until Kennedy Meadows at the
earliest, and maybe not even there.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye