[pct-l] Obtaining a leave of absence

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Sun Feb 22 13:58:49 CST 2009

Here are a few tips that may help with negotiating a leave of absence with
your boss:

1) Play out all of the possible outcomes in your head beforehand. What will
you do if your request is denied? Are there concessions you can make to get
them to yes? Are you willing to resign? Are you willing to bluff? What will
you do if your bluff is called?

2) Talk mostly about what the company has to gain by granting your request,
or what they have to lose if they deny it. Don't make it all about you. Make
it about them.

3) Have a response prepared for every objection. Don't go in there on just a
wing and a prayer. Here are some common objections to have answers for:

**The Brush Off**

	"But we really need you here right now. Can you put it off for
another 	few years?"

**The Veiled Threat**

	"The economy is tough right now, many people are unemployed. Are you
sure you want to give up your job?"

**The Guilt Trip**

	"How can you do this to us right now? Haven't we always treated you
well? Who will do your work while you are gone?"

**The Ultimatum**

	"I'm sorry, but it's simply not possible at this time. It's beyond
my 	control."

4) Keep it friendly and professional. Even if your request is denied and you
have to resign, leave on good terms. Let them know that when you return you
may be interested in working for them again, and that you will contact them
at the appropriate time to inquire about their needs.

5) If your request is denied and you are not willing to resign try to get
them to agree to a specific date in the future, like the following year. And
hold them to it!

You never want to leave the negotiation table without getting something,
even if it's not exactly what you really wanted. If you walk out
empty-handed you will have set a precedent and established yourself as
someone who can be easily dismissed, and your future requests will carry
less weight.

Good luck!

Erik The Black
Author & Publisher