[pct-l] Stehekin P. O.

mikea mike.aken at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:18:12 CST 2009

Hello folks

Just a full time lurker on the pct-l.
Part time section hiker and sometimes trail  angel.

I retired from Hewlett Packard in 1998.  A gentlemen I worked with
retired from HP the same day and moved to Stehekin a short time later.

His wife became the postmaster relief (PMR) and then the Postmaster.
I guess that the Post Office does not have Postmistress's.  :-)  :-)
Her name is Adele. The following info comes from Adele in response to the
Stehekin P.O. thread that I forwarded to her.

I would like to talk about: THE ROBBERY,  AND NON PICKED UP PACKAGES.

The Robbery:

    The Postal Inspection Service has investigated the theft of 11 PCT Hiker
parcels from an upstairs storage area.  This occurred over one weekend in
Sept. '08.
After careful investigation, the Postal Inspector recommended adding
additional security, including locked storage cabinets..  .

    Adele is recommending that passports NOT be sent with food parcels. They
should
have the additional service of Delivery Confirmation  or Signature
confirmation.  Both services can  be tracked by Internet or phone.  She
will be updating the PCTA with the latest information about PostOffice hours
and  security before the kickoff.

NON PICKED UP PACKAGES.
    Yes, they  do return packages not picked up.  If the  package is a
parcel post (standard piece) they return it with postage due. Flat rate
priority packages would be returned at no extra cost at the end of the
season.   Non flat rate priority parcels might have some postage due if
the return address is a zone farther away than  the zone from where the box
was sent.  If the hiker wishes to have the parcel forwarded to another
address, we also do that with a letter of request from the hiker.

    No one benefits from the unclaimed packages, except the govt.  by way of
 additional postage
in some cases.

Mike

--
http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

"I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one".
                        Jack Hampson