[pct-l] How To Eat

Charlie & Nancy Zapp cnzapp at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 16:01:17 CST 2009

I agree whole heartedly with Erik the Black, it is calories that are
needed on the trail.  The healthy stuff you can get in town.  I am
normally a vegetarian but when on the trail I fall right off the
vegetarian wagon.  I just can't get enough calories on a veggie diet.
I have found that calorie dense "foods" like summer sausage, in which
almost all of the calories come from fat.  Carbs and proteins have 4+
calories per gram while fats have 9+ calories per gram.  Without fats
(of which peanut butter is a mainstay) I could feel my energy sagging
in the afternoon.  With the fats you can go a long ways.  I worried
about not refrigerating the sumer sausage, but they are so full of
preservatives that it didn't seem to be an issue.

Piece of Work