[pct-l] how to eat

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Mon Feb 9 14:50:11 CST 2009

I've written an article about my eating philosophy here:

http://www.eriktheblack.com/blog/junkfood-hiking-diet/

In my opinion, it's important to consume as many calories as possible on the
trail because you are burning massive amounts of energy, and you have to
"stoke the fire". Nothing else matters except for calories.

Foods which are traditionally considered nutritious (like fruits,
vegetables, whole grains and protein) are inadequate for meeting your daily
energy needs while hiking long distances. They are bulky, heavy, difficult
to metabolize and do not pack enough calories. All they do is take up space
in your pack that could be filled with more efficient foods.

Town is the best place to replenish on nutritional foods. A steak dinner, a
couple cheeseburgers, a quart of milk and a few bananas in town goes a long
way on the trail.

Happy Trails!

Erik The Black
www.eriktheblack.com