[pct-l] Mosquitos and ticks. Repellent cloths.

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 13:33:38 CST 2009

From;: MendoRider/Ed Anderson
I used brand Ex-Officio cloths on my PCT journey. I had thier socks, pants,long-sleeve shirt and hat with cape. This worked well in discouraging insects and ticks. I noticed that some of the hikers were a lot more bothered than I was. I also brought along DEET, used it on the back of my hands and on my beard and eyebrows. Mostly I used it on my horse. Since I wore a helmet while riding for safety I only wore the buzz-off hat while in camp if insects were a problem.

Another thought - I developed a routine of always putting my Hubba tent away with the door zipped up so that when I set it up the next night insects could not get in. When it was time to put in my sleeping bag, and self-inflating pad,etc, into the tent I would unzip the door, toss them in quickly and immediately zip the door closed again. The result, very few insects inside, which I would kill as soon as I entered tent.