[pct-l] UL Packs

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Sun Feb 8 12:25:37 CST 2009

I highly recommend ULA Equipment packs. I've used Gossamer Gear, Granite
Gear and ULA packs. ULA is by far my favorite.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

If you are going to have a base weight of 10 - 15 lbs (including the weight
of the pack) go for the Circuit model. This is the perfect all-around pack
in my opinion.

If you are going to have a base-weight less than 10 lbs go for the Conduit
model. This is the pack I use. It's awesome but it is pretty small. So you
really have to take only the gear you need to fit everything inside.

I use a Prolite inflatable pad too, and wouldn't' give it up for anything.

The good news is that it works fine as the backrest in frameless packs. In
fact, it actually works better than a foam pad!

Here is what you do: Leave the valve open, fold up the pad so that it fits
in the backpad sleeve of the pack, then give it a couple of puffs, and close
the valve. You can adjust the firmness of your backpad by how much you
inflate it. Try doing that with a floppy foam pad.

Just remember that it's in there and don't set your pack down on anything
that might poke through and pop your pad, like sticks, cactus or sharp
rocks. And don't place anything sharp inside your pack either, that could
puncture it from the inside.

Oh, one more thing. If you don't already carry one, make sure to get the
patch kit from Thermarest.

My Prolite has so many little colored patches on it that it looks like the
pad caught the rainbow measles. They pop a lot, but are easy to fix and
soooo comfortable!

-Erik The Black
www.pctatlas.com