[pct-l] Bridge of the Gods

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 23:28:36 CST 2009

The bridge crossing the Columbia River at Cascade Locks belongs
eternally to God, of course, but its temporal caretaker is the Port
of Cascade Locks, a tiny municipal organization with a limited
budget.  The Port of Cascade Locks has managed to keep the 1926-built
structure maintained and safely serviceable since purchasing it with
revenue bonds in 1961.  It seems like the measly fifty cent toll
asked of pedestrians crossing the bridge would be considered a
bargain by most folks, but apparently some thru-hikers object even to
this. Well, there are alternatives.  You could ford the river. It is
only about 1800 feet or so across and you do have to watch the
currents, the grain barges and the gill nets, but you are out for
adventure, are you not?  You could also take an alternative route to
avoid the toll.  You could do a road walk to Biggs and cross the
Columbia there for free.  It's only about 120 miles extra and it
saves you fifty cents.  Actually, I'd recommend you take the Herman
Creek Trail from Wahtum Lake down to the river.  That will cut, oh,
two or three miles off the road walk. Or maybe we could get the PCTA
to build us a new "free" bridge.  I hear it would cost about $26
million to replace the bridge, so I guess our memberships would cost
a bit more. Of course, we could probably build a cheaper bridge
suitable only for pedestrian traffic.  A sort of Bridge of the Lesser
Gods.  As for me, I cross the BOG every once in a while and I've
always considered it sort of a privilege to chip in my small
contribution to the Port of Cascade Locks' expenses, but that's just
me, I guess.

Wayne Kraft