[pct-l] All these creek crossing suggestions

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 23:07:49 CST 2009

I too am hesitant to believe the benefits of loosening all my straps and undoing my sternum strap.  When i've done this in the past, i feel 1000x less stable and more likely to fall.  On a knee-deep crossing in WA, i was harshly chastised by some weekenders for not loosening/unfastening.  They were really chewing me out for it.  Being in thru-mode, i just half-smiled and never broke stride, but i wish i could have explained to them:

If the stream is so deep and swift that i'm not able, (after thinking through the pack-release maneuver and practicing it), to undo my pack upon falling in, then i'm not going to cross that stream anyway.  If it's NOT tha deep and swift, i'm going to keep myself as stable and balanced as possible, tyvm!

Also, with due respect to the fine equestrian, i'm a little confused about the physics of weight added to one's backpack being of any help in KNEE-deep water.  I for one have never felt more balanced or stable or strong when carrying a heavy expedition pack.

Rebelliously yours,
markv