[pct-l] freeze-dried foods

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Wed Dec 23 13:17:38 CST 2009

> "My experience with many of the Harmony House vegetables is that they can
take a fairly long time to rehydrate/cook. Some stayed tough, no matter
what."

Thanks for the links.  I've used justtomatoes.com veggies in the past and
they rehydrate quickly.  FYI, freeze dried veggies should be added to cold
water and brought up to boil, not added to already hot water.

Too bad about the long cooking times needed for the Harmony House products -
they have a nice variety.

> I dry my own vegetables at home AFTER cooking and chopping into small
pieces with a food processor.

Have you done this for a thru-hike's worth of food & how much of a time
commitment was that before the trail?

Cheers,
Paul