[pct-l] freeze-dried foods

nosirreeb nosirreeb at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 12:06:39 CST 2009

"My experience with many of the Harmony House vegetables is that they can take a fairly long time to rehydrate/cook. Some stayed tough, no matter what."

AFAIK, all or most commercially dried/freeze-dried vegetables are processed while raw, which means that even after rehydrating, one still has to cook them, which can take considerable time and stove fuel with some veggies. I dry my own vegetables at home AFTER cooking and chopping into small pieces with a food processor. Thus, at meal time, they only require rehydrating and warming to serving temperature. Saves time, stove fuel and, IMHO, results in a superior product for trail use.