[pct-l] Class of 2010 - LNT

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 17 14:50:36 CST 2009

This is one of the big topics, and a critically important one.  Trash is a
real problem out there, and it's definitely occurring amongst (gasp) PCT
thru-hikers. I've been very interested in what Billy Goat, Scott Williamson,
and Tatu Joe -- all multiple year hikers -- have had to say about the
proliferation of trash in areas clearly being caused by those in our ranks.
Much of the trash is concentrated at caches, yet another controversial
topic.  But it's not just limited to trash dumped in caches.  Apparently
proper outdoor toilet techniques are not known to all hikers, and dirty
toilet paper (and sometimes worse) trails the nobos. Eeeeeww. Do I have a
solution?  No, but I truly wish I did. We've chewed this one every year, and
the message never reaches the offenders, just the choir.

On a related note, LNT Outdoor Ethics also include not traveling during the
peak of the season, and traveling in small groups. Some respect and abide by
that, mostly because they're intentionally avoiding a big social scene.
Sadly, though I've heard all the arguments why it's okay for thru-hikers to
do so, many in the thru-hiking community choose to ignore those ethics.  In
fact, they seek the crowd and want to be in the moving party train.  It
speaks of an attitude saying "those rules don't apply to me."  What's a girl
to do?  Sadly, the answer was to put up limits on the number of hikers
allowed, a sanction I was loathe to institute and dislike managing even
more.

I must be becoming a bonafide geezer because I long for what now seem like
"the good ol' days."

L-Rod