[pct-l] Class of 2010 - trash

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Dec 17 13:20:40 CST 2009

I wish there was something more I could do besides just picking up
trash. I have a popular web site and I made banner ads about leave no
trace principles and I randomly insert the ads all over my site
hoping people will get the message. I also make people accept a
promise to leave no trace before I let them read information about
the hikes on my site. But not everyone visits my site so the effect
is minimal. Heck, for all I know, asking people not to litter just
makes them want to litter more. Who knows?

I had thought about getting leave no trace posters from the LNT web
site and posting them at trailheads. But the posters are too much
about camping and I think it might be best to attack the problem from
the day-hiker point of view, at least locally.

Anyway, if anyone has ideas on how to get people to litter less in
the wilderness, (and anywhere, really) I'd love to hear it.

Diane