[pct-l] Good old 1970s!

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Dec 12 09:51:24 CST 2009

Unsupported Reinhold writes: Yes,.....Vasque waffle stomper boots, cotton socks, gym shorts and a fish net shirt is what I wore when I started hiking in the early 70's.  Maybe Monte got that idea from me.  That is when "Mountain Men" were still "Mountain Men" and "Grizzly Bears" and "Saber Tooth Tigers" were nervous and ran when they saw us coming.

Switchback replies: That is not the only thing that ran.  I remember warnings about Unsupported back in the old Sierra/PCT days; wooly Mammoths, Neanderthal babes, retreating glaciers, etc.  He had a shady reputation even then.  That is where the Unsupported legend started and I first heard of him.  Of course, I had the reputation among the PCT Sierra natives of being a friend to all and their pal.