[pct-l] edited response to oregonian

canoeman at qnet.com canoeman at qnet.com
Sun Dec 6 21:32:12 CST 2009

This is a slightly edited response to several members who sent me a letter
about
(read-your state).(so as to  conceal  private e mailers  on the list, and to
not single  them out in any way, and make them feel uncomfortable)
I dont want to appear as a (read-your state) basher but I have received many
private letters explaining why (read-your state) feel the way they do.
My experiences in Canada, as a Canadian, having experienced reprehensible
behavior towards Americans, and being an outsider to California, Oregon and
Washington state, give me an interesting point of view.
Please read this as I meant it, with eyes open, with kindness. Please fight
that
defensive surge of resentment we all experience when we see ourselves in others
 light.
I too carried out these exact trespasses against strangers, but as I said
before, I'm not perfect it's hard being open to new, and unfamiliar cultures.
but I'm trying hard.
read this with an open heart.
here goes.

Actually I  enjoyed your previous  post.
I was referring to the seemingly ignorant, and recognized  trend  of resentment
 some locals have towards people who can't mispronounce the names assigned
to (read- your state) by non (read- your state) hundreds of years ago.
Just because we dont follow the local Patois, pronunciation of local
attractions, doesn't make us ignorant strangers, It means  we haven't
experienced the closed, insulated environment, that some (read-your state) seem
to celebrate.
I have noticed this behavior every time I travel through (read-your state) to
some where friendly.
I find it is very similar to the behavior of many small towns  to outsiders.
This behavior is not something to celebrate, but to be ashamed of. The way
people treat their visitors and guests, is the true test of the ability to be
humble and friendly.
I'm afraid the small town complex does no favor to (read you state).
And defending it as some how quaint, is missing the point.
I found this distasteful and ignorant behavior rampant in my own country of
Canada when ever friendly Americans would visit Canada ,their treatment was
usually a veiled form of Jealousy for the visitors success.

The treatment was rude and unwarranted, but seemed to be fueled by local
ignorance, unfounded resentment, and prejudice.
Parts of (read-your state)  and  parts of (Read-your state), seem to have
accepted this behavior towards outsiders for the last 30 years as somehow
warranted.
Guests and Visitors are just that, guests and visitors.
Their treatment speaks volumes about the ability of the local citizens to be
accepting and forgiving,  and humble.
Any excuses are a sad reason for being rude and responding with contemptuous
behavior.
The rule in my house, is the guest is always right, their mistakes and
social trespasses are forgiven with out the slightest thought.
They are my guests, they are to be welcomed and treated with respect.
period.
Take note:  those who prejudge others because they dont share the limited
customs,and beliefs of the entrenched locals, have their reputation precede
them.
My door mat says
"WELCOME", no matter who you are, no matter how you pronounce my name, no
matter how you pronounce my town.
period.

Canoeman

This is my last post on this issue, promise!

Eh!