[pct-l] spot

canoeman at qnet.com canoeman at qnet.com
Sat Dec 5 13:56:46 CST 2009

I'm sorry, but I just dont agree with your rigid  position on the spot.
I've used it  for a couple years and it has always worked for me. even the
forest service test showed it does work. the percentage of missed signals is
very, very, very   small.
but left on long enough, even in heavy canopy, the signal gets through. the key
is the orientation of the device. it must face up towards the sky on its back.
I put mine in the  pack top mesh pocket, it works great.

the thing that makes the spot better then a PLB, for hiking, is that it gives
you  the options to avoid pulling the pin and calling in the cavalry, by having
four message options now. it also has a new set of led's that confirm gps lock
signal and message transmission complete
the new version I picked up last week, has a fourth message option, which can
be used for what ever you want it to. you have 911, help, ok, tracking, and
another custom message you can also program it to be what ever you want it to
be. the fourth could be used for trail head pick up  etc.
the new model has covers over the 911 button and the help buttons to eliminate
false alarms. it also has an improved gps antenna. I just find this tool too
useful to call useless.
If I was going somewhere like out on the ocean, where a  life or death
emergency, was the only option, A PLB would be better, but the spot is just too
useful to blow off as useless. It definitely has a place in hiker safety

he said

That hiker would not have recommended the Spot. The Spot is not a PLB
replacement and wouldn't have saved his arm as the Spot needs be in
open the to work. He was wedged in rocks so the signal probably
wouldn't have reached the satellites. Even trees can block the Spot's
signal.

ean