[pct-l] spot

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 06:52:48 CST 2009

I didn't mean to come off as rigid.
I will probably get me a Spot soon myself.

I think it is great for it's intended use, but there are many things
that set it apart from a PLB and search and rescue experts agree.

A PLB isn't of much use for anything but extreme emergencies. A Spot
has many more useful features.

The Spot has saved many a person, but a PLB provides more reliable and
quicker results. The times you'll need to be rescued are often times
when speed is of the essence.

I believe carrying a PLB is overkill for most types of hiking. But
more dangerous/extreme activities warrant a PLB.

I don't intentionally get myself into the dangerous situations that my
friends do so I don't carry a PLB.