[pct-l] Californians

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Dec 4 09:37:51 CST 2009

Funny they should give me the California treatment when I'm living
out of a backpack and look like a bum. I wished I had had the ability
to buy an Oregon mansion back then, but I have never been able to
afford California real estate prices either.

I had one guy insult me to my face. He asked me if I was enjoying
Oregon. I had been battling the most deranged mosquitoes I had ever
seen. I told him the mosquitoes were making it difficult for me to
enjoy what Oregon had to offer. He took that as an insult toward
Oregon and said that Oregon doesn't like Californians and that I
didn't belong here.

A bit later, I went to the post office to forward my priority mail
package. The clerk said that they couldn't do that. That forwarding
wasn't intended for general delivery packages. I told him that most
post offices went as far as to offer me the service even if I didn't
ask for it. He argued with me and I got the feeling I was getting
special California treatment (he could see my return address plain as
day.) He finally said he would do it just for me, but I walked out of
there wondering if I should have just paid to have them sent normally.

I worried that maybe my packages would get tossed in the "oops we
lost it" pile. I hoped the clerk would be a professional. Thankfully
he was and he even sent me a letter to tell me that he had been in
the wrong about forwarding priority mail packages.

Still, I started to get paranoid about Oregon. I really liked Oregon.
I thought the people there were really happy and friendly. I would
love to live in Oregon, but I guess I would have to keep it a secret
where I came from, even if all I can afford is blue tarp yurt in the
forest.