[pct-l] temps

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 3 19:51:19 CST 2009

Maybe, maybe not.  I measure sleeping bag ratings by their loft.  My thirty degree Arroyo had an inch more loft than the Sub Kilo REI bag when they were new.  The arroyo has since broke down quite a bit, but I rated it at 10 degrees when new, and the Sub at twenty.  The 30 degree bag was a lot warmer too in comparison.  But once they get smashed and stuffed a bunch, and loose some loft, the rating of course goes down.  The biggest issue I have encountered is dirty hair oils clumping the down in the head and hood area and this is really hard to wash out thoroughly.  And I have short hair that doesn't seem oily.  But after one long season the Arroyo was clumped, same with the REI bag, and my WInter bag is no longer a minus 5 degree.  IT is now more like a twenty degree, and I'll bet a new high quality twenty degree bag would be more comfortable.  After ten years and a a couple washings the down just isn't the same.
I had a syntheitc bag once, but I got cold in it even though it was rated at 20, and then the fill seemed to clump and I threw it out.  So you know what I think of poly filled bags.