[pct-l] temps

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 3 19:42:13 CST 2009

Elise,

I slept most of last summer at altitude in the northern Cascades along the
PCT with nothing more than a space blanket.  This can be done if you don't
mind sleeping a little cold and would rather not carry the weight of a
sleeping bag.  I hate mass so the compromise isn't a tough one for me.
Seven out of eight PCT hikers encountered agree, I'm a nut.

But I'm bringing up a good point.  More insulation means more weight; the
compromise shouldn't necessarily be made along the axis presented by most
retail gear shops.  Rated temperature ranges are averages of averages and
*you* may not necessarily agree with what the manufacture says the bag is
good for.  So, advice from the nut is, look at the weights of sleeping bags
given by each manufacture.  Better weight them yourself and compare based on
what you think you can get away with.

2 cents,

Matt Thyer