[pct-l] Wildfire Update Section Q

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sat Aug 1 19:11:44 CDT 2009

The burn area is on the PCT in the Marble Mountain Wilderness section Q map Q5 quad 25. It is about 1/2 mile in length along the ridge from 1/4 mile south of the Shadow lake junction with the PCT.
There is a paper sign regarding a burn program IN the actual burn zone. There are no warnings posted at Etna summit or anywhere along the PCT north until you are within the fire zone.
It is a low level burn but quite smoky. The valleys all around the area are full of smoke.
Perhaps a sign placed at the Etna Summit would be a good idea. There are about 350 fellow thru hikers that have put their lives on hold and hiked 1600 miles to get here and be shocked to see an unexplained fire burning directly in their path.
As far a fire crews on scene. There was nobody present when I went through. Several other hikers behind me caught up and were alarmed as well. They never saw any firecrews.
The trail is passable, just be careful of falling trees/limbs, burning ground cover, and underground stump holes, and a lot of smoke.
Cheers- Iceaxe

Sent from the Trail on my Peek