[pct-l] Giving back

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 11:50:24 CDT 2009

Truant,

Good to hear your alive and well up there in AK.  I too am missing the
kickoff and have kept up my PCTA membership which I'd encourage all
veterans to do.

My way of giving back is to work on trails close to home in the hopes
that others who feel a need to give back to the AT or NCNST who happen
to live on the west coast will be doing their give-back by volunteering
along the PCT.  I go out weekly from spring to fall to work on a western
PA section of the North Country Trail and schedule trail crew weeks
along the AT---this year it will be two in ME and two in the Smokies.
Of course, I'm retired and am glad to finally have the time to do
this.   I've done 10 ATC trail crew sessions to date and always have a
good time.   Besides they helped me stay in shape for the PCT and
hopefully will keep the body going until I get a chance to tackle the
CDT in '10!

Would there be some volunteer opportunities for you around Anchorage?

Handlebar