[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 16, Issue 85

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 10:24:46 CDT 2009

Besides what you've already done (giving $$ to the PCTA) and mentioned care packages and pro bono type work, transcribing a journal for a current hiker who has chosen to use the hand write / snail mail method is great (not everyone likes to type with their thumbs).  I'm currently transcribing - it's great to be the first one to read the entries, it provides a great sense of connection with 'your' hiker.

Another way is to mentor future thru's one on one - provide them with the insights you developed on your trek.  There are some things that only a thru REALLY understands - the half way blues, for example.  In 2007, via a friend of a friend I was put in touch with a prospective thru (who more or less finished the whole trail) and provided some guidance that I suspect really improved this hikers resupply plan (their initial plan bypassed some of the really good stops, such as the Saufleys, for example).  They also weren't intially aware of quite a few of the planning resources, and putting them in touch with these almost certainly helped them out quite a bit.

Yet another way to help out is to lend a current year hiker your bear can (assuming you purchased one).

Message: 2