[pct-l] This was interesting...I think

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 23 22:28:45 CDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 7:35 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> ---- Postholer <public at postholer.com> wrote:
>> Not sure what to make of this:
>>
>> http://ramaloke.org/expansion-into-smaller-spaces
>
> What's the plan here? Sounds disturbing. Or maybe just disturbed?
>
> "Suddenly we have ?medieval? access to a long long long strip of
> land, forests, lakes, parks, towns, and states, without purchasing
> a thousand acres to do it. We can start working on actual on-site
> construction techniques and ideas, and initial Village processes
> like farming, agriculture, animal husbandry, etc, while also
> exploring the surrounding area, the PCT and other possible sites.
>
> Next we start looking at the PCT to find other people, groups, and
> locations that would like to become participants in a network of
> stops where people can get room and board. We would also start
> looking for an appropriate site for the central Village, as well as
> other satalite sites. Now with the purchase of less acreage we can
> gain hiking, riding, and traveling access to thousands and
> thousands of acres of natural landscape, while also building a
> network of friends, associates, trade partners, and more
> importantly, people."

It sounds like a sort of "re-wilding" thing, or rather, a bunch of
people wanting to drop out of modern corporate capitalist society and
forge a way that is back to our 10,000 years-ago agrarian roots. I
have a similar plan but it involves my social security check, my
backpack and the PCT (and possibly a single-wide in the desert) and
doesn't involve any kooky groups of people trying to build a village.