[pct-l] Hiking Poles, Bear Canisters and Tarp/Bivy Setups

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 23 22:20:54 CDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 7:35 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> First: Would you recommend the use of hiking poles on the whole
> trail? If
> so, what brand/model would you suggest?
Since most people use them for their tents, the answer is yes. I
recommend either Leki ultralights (which are really not so light) or
Gossamer Gear Lightrek (which will float away.)

> Second: Would you recommend the use of a bear-proof food container
> on the
> whole trail? Would you recommend hanging food from trees instead?
You can use an ursack if you want. I did. But it's not necessary. A
trash compactor bag works well. You need an approved bear canister
for part of the High Sierra, from approximately Kennedy Meadows to
Sonora Pass.

> Third: For sleeping, it seems like many of you opt for the use of a
> tarp as
> opposed to a tent. Do you normally use a bivy sack with a tarp
> overhead, or
> just a tarp, or just a bivy sack?
Most people had tarptents, actually. A large amount of people just
slept under the stars (and I don't know what they had inside their
packs, probably tarptents.)

I plan to bring a tarp because I've decided I really like them. But I
may go nuts in mosquito country in which case I will get my tarptent
(Gossamer Gear The One.)