[pct-l] Hiker Air Conditioner Sprayers

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 20:25:22 CDT 2008

WCTrekker writes: I think this is called minutia.  I am a trombone player.  We spray our slides with water.  I just checked my spray bottle and it weighs .65 oz and holds 2.5 oz's+-. On the scale, full it weighs 3 oz's.  It produces a very fine spray.  There are even smaller varieties that can be purchased at most well stocked musical instrument stores.  The brand I use is "Superslick" pocket size slide sprayer.  I can imagine the conversation now when a hiker goes into a music store and asks for one.  It's probably more pricey than the Wal-Mart variety.
Switchback replies: Once again the backpacking world takes a leap forward.  A .65 ounce sprayer that holds lots of water.  This is a savings of .05 ounces over the Walmart sprayer that I talked about in my previous post.  I am going down to my local music store and look around.

Speaking of weights, if you go down to the BassPro Shop or other hunting stores, you will find super light face masks.  The one I have covers my chin to nose area and most of my face cheeks.  This is very nice at night when you are sleeping in your shelter and it is COLD outside. The nose always takes a hit in the cold.  My mask weighs .7 ounces.  It is very nice and very flexible to use in different situations.  By the way, I have a super light balaclava and ear band too.  Flexibility and light weight is my motto.

My big problem is camp clothes.  Right now I have a Walmart T-shirt that weighs 5.9 ounces and shorts at 10.4 ounces.  All XXL.  I like lots of room in them around camp and in bed at night.  Both are very comfortable and synthetic materials.  But that is over one pound.  I noticed that WinterSilk just come out with a tall XXL silk T-shirt.  I might buy that.  But I sure wish I could get a nice silk camp short with pockets too.  This whole thing is making me very angry.

Cheers, Switchback the Trail Fashion Plate