[pct-l] Hardcore Hiker Trash Philosophy

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 03:21:06 CDT 2008

We hardcore backpackers are a different breed.  We take on Mother Nature in all her forms and moods.  We think differently.  We see things differently:
At journeys end, we don't cry because its over, we smile because it happened.
Pain and suffering on the trail is inevitable, but misery is optional.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.  That's why it's called: The Present.  That is why the Rhythm of the Trail is so important.
A good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up.  Especially if he is a Trail Pirate.
Life and the trail are what you make of it...kinda like Play-Doh.
The bubbling brook would lose its song if you removed the rocks.
Trail Magic comes through doors you didn't even know were left open.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.
If all my friends jumped off a cliff, I wouldn't jump with them.  I would be at the bottom to catch them.
A girl on the trail is pointing up at the sky. "Look, an Angel!", she yells.  A passerby laughs, "You fool, that is only a cloud."  How wonderful it would be to see Angels where there are only clouds.  How sad it would be to see clouds where there are Angels.
Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you are alive it isn't.  It is the same with the trail.  Your journey is not finished if you are alive  --- you must saddle up and hit the trail.